What’s happened this week:
- Facebook announced they have reached 1bn active users worldwide.
- YouTube are bringing their original channels initiative to the UK, France and Germany, whilst doubling the original budget to USD200m.
- Amazon revealed plans for their advertising product that embeds messaging into the purchase process.
What we have learned:
- 80% of the media we consume will be digital by 2020 (up from two thirds in 2010) according to the Economist Intelligence Unit.
- 12% of global Internet traffic is now mobile, one of many nuggets from the latest BI State of the Internet (warning: 138 slides).
- More than half of Twitter users follow six or more brands. Only 12% don’t follow any brands.
- Graymatics is the first fully automated object recognition platform that allows you to buy that cool shirt in your friend’s news feed.
- PredictGaze is an amazing technology that turns our eyes into a remote control of the future.
- Facebook are celebrating 1bn users with an interesting experiment, a high budget TV style ad that won’t run on TV but only through the Facebook platform.