As we head towards the start of December, and with the end of lockdown 2.0 almost in sight, we have taken a look at how the nation is feeling, looking specifically at the impact on local businesses and people’s Christmas shopping habits this year.
This week, the key findings were:
- Happiness levels have declined this week, however advances in vaccine trials has boosted optimism and festive spirits have increased.
- Comparing Lockdown #2 to Lockdown #1, the nation feels significantly less optimistic, with fewer feeling satisfied by life, and that their life is worthwhile.
- The percent that claim to be actively supporting local businesses during COVID has increased 5ppts in the last week from 55% to 60%, however more people reporting that money is tight now, the percent trying new brands during lockdown has decreased this week.
- The lifting of lockdown on 2nd December still looked unlikely for half of the nation, however advances in Vaccine trials has significantly increased the nation’s optimism. The news of the potential effective vaccine has also increased optimism towards 2021 holidays and activities this week.
- Festive spirits have increased significantly this week and more people report that they will spend more on presents this year.
- 70% have already purchased a Christmas gift this year, with most purchases being made online.