What’s happened this week:
- Twitter bought BlueFin labs illustrating a greater focus on the intersection between Twitter and TV.
- Google bought Channel Intelligence for USD 125m to drive a better on site shopping experience.
- Google overhauled Adwords to create enhanced campaigns in which all platforms can be managed. Especially important in the looming world where mobile searches outnumber desktop.
What we have learned:
- *There will be more mobile devices than people by the end of 2013 and global mobile traffic will increase 12x in the next 5 years from Cisco’s Global Mobile Traffic Forecast.
- 4bn hours of video are consumed by 800m users each month on YouTube(which is 8 years old this week).
- 60m photos a day are sent through Snapchat, their winning USP is that the photos are instantly deleted.
- Remember Watson, the game show winning super-computer? It has spent the past year ingesting just about everything ever written about cancer treatment and it is now ready to get to work.
- The Future of Search is content that comes to you.
Where to find more:
- Data-ism is the emerging Philosophy of Data in which data gives us a complete picture of past and present, its ability to predict the future is a more complex challenge.
- How AT&T is utilizing set top box data to change TV media planning to look a lot more like Digital Media.
- The Internet of things is strategically important for the world’s chip makers because of the billions of connections it will create.