What’s happened this week:
- Mobile World Congress has begun in Barcelona with plenty of new mobile devices blurring the boundary between smartphone and tablet, as well as a push in to ultra-low cost devices, mass market home media streamers, a new operating system with FirefoxOS and innovation in mobile TV.
- Sony announced the PlayStation4 defining the next generation of console gaming as a social, multi-screen experience.
- Twitter launched an advertising API allowing for exponentially more sophisticated campaign executions.
What we have learned:
- One third of UK tablet users stream TV according to new research by Rovi announced at MWC2013.
- 55% of European Adults are forecast to own a tablet by 2017.
- We search less, but more intelligently as the use of vertical search engines grows (primarily driven by Mobile devices).
- Advances in 3d printing technology are creating all kinds of surprising devices such as the 3doodler which ‘writes’ in 3 dimensions.
- gazeMetrics tracks a brand’s presence in images across user generated content.
- Never.no is a clever Social TV advertising platform that is scaling around the word.