What’s happened this week:
- Google bought user curated mapping service Waze for USD 1.1bn to strengthen its position in mapping and to provide social context for geographic data.
- Apple launched iAd Workbench an advertising programme to self-serve on mobile with budgets as low as USD50.
- Facebook announced they are to adopt the #hashtag to enable more public conversations.
What we have learned:
- YouTube now generates over 1bn mobile video views per day.
- What’s App has processed a record 27bn messages in one day.
- 48% of UK adults listen to radio/audio online each week.
- AllJoyn is a new open source software framework to connect the internet of things.
- Google want to connect the next two thirds of the world’s population to cheap, fast Internet services with balloons that float in the stratosphere.
- Parallax scrolling is an interesting innovation in Digital first design; Diesel’s Home Collection site provides an elegant example.
Where to find more:
- How to get a million likeson Facebook.
- Scale comes from cascades. Think about how to enable fans’ relationships with their friends and friends’ friends…
- …to start a cascade we need to generate at least one of these six effects; Social Currency, Triggers, Emotion, Public, Practical Value, and Stories
- Digital technologies are transforming manufacturing to accelerate product innovation. The Nike Flyknit is the world’s first mass produced consumer product using additive manufacturing.
- The nine questions boards should ask about the impact of technology.