What’s happened this week in digital:
- CES2013 concluded with usual frenzy of technology buzz, highlights included;
- Advances in Ultra HD (up to 8k).
- The appearance of curved TV screens.
- Amazing colour with Quantum Dot TV.
- A huge array of connected home technologies including an Android oven.
- All sorts of objects adapted for technology such as the iPotty which has an iPad docking station (to keep toddlers ‘engaged’).
- A big step forward in scaling mobile payment as paypal and NCR join forces to push the technology into millions of outlets.
What we have learned:
- Global Digital ad spend surpassed USD 100bn in 2012 and is set to grow by 60% by 2016.
- Amazon Web Services will make USD 3.8bn in 2013 (6x more than in 2010) illustrating the exploding demand for cloud based infrastructure.
- Within 5 years 4.4 % of all ads will be on a mobile screen.
- *Microsoft Illumiroom brings high end Digital Projection Mapping to the Living Room with Kinect to create an amazing experience.
- Disney Parks and Resorts have created MYMagic+, a USD1bn investment in technology to drive experience, loyalty and sales.
- Euclid brings Digital style analytics to the in store environment, another example of the Digital mind set impacting on real world design and decisions.
Where to find more:
- How mobile search will develop in 2013; far more vertical, more visual and proactive.
- How Twitter is learning to monetize real time search by connecting people and algorithms.
- How the Smartphone has become the remote control of our everyday lives.